Endorsement competencies outline the knowledge and skills that educators are expected to master in each endorsement area they are pursuing.
How are endorsement competencies used?
- Programs will use the endorsement competency standards for pre-service or in-service teachers seeking to obtain their endorsements.
- Washington State uses the endorsement competency standards to develop the content assessment which educators must take to earn a specific endorsement.
- These standards are for teacher preparation programs and teacher candidates; they are not student learning standards.
How are endorsement competencies reviewed?
We are currently integrating national professional standards into each of Washington’s endorsement competencies. We have also convened review committees to better align Washington-specific endorsement competencies with standards developed by national professional associations specializing in specific subject areas. Learn more about the adoption of national standards.
What standards are currently being implemented?
Business and marketing
- Fall 2019: Programs should implement the new standards that incorporated the NBEA standards. Please refer to the side-by-side chart (document).
- Fall 2020: The corresponding NES Business Education assessment will be adopted.
Early childhood education (ECE)
- The 2020 NAEYC standards were adopted by the Board in May 2020 and replace the Washington ECE endorsement competencies. Programs should begin working towards implementing the 2020 NAEYC standards immediately, as programs have two years to fully implement the NAEYC standards.
- Please note that the NES ECE assessment was adopted when PESB aligned the Washington ECE endorsement competencies with the Common Core standards. As the NES ECE assessment is already in place, we do not anticipate any change with the ECE content assessment.
What are the competencies and assessment for each endorsement?
|Specialty Endorsement||Endorsement Competencies||Assessment|
|Deaf Education||Deaf Education competencies||WEST-E|
|Elementary Mathematics Specialist||Elementary Mathematics Specialist competencies||N/A|
|Environment and Sustainability Education||Environment and Sustainability competencies||N/A|
|Gifted Education||Gifted Education competencies||N/A|
|Teacher of the Visually Impaired||Teacher of the Visually Impaired competencies||N/A|
Standards-based benchmarks by educator role
These contain the criteria, strands and benchmarks at the residency, professional, and career levels.