Related information: Alternative routes block grant
What are alternative routes?
Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification are designed for career changers and for individuals already working in the school system who want to earn a residency teacher certificate. Compared to traditional educator preparation programs, Washington’s Alternative Routes tend to be shorter, more convenient, more affordable, and more practically oriented. Individuals can enroll in an Alternative Routes program through an Alternative Routes program provider.
Four alternative routes
Washington State has four alternative routes that are each designed for specific backgrounds. All four routes lead to full residency certification (the first level regular teaching certificate).
- Route 1: For district staff (e.g., paraeducators) with an associate’s degree
- Route 2: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree
- Route 3: For “career changers” with a bachelor’s degree
- Route 4: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree and a limited certificate
For more information about the routes and their entry requirements, see the route descriptions page.
Find an alternative routes program
There are currently multiple Alternative Routes programs offered by institutions across Washington State. Program details vary, so please contact institutions directly for more information.
- Find an alternative route provider
- Use the alternative route program map (PDF) to see what programs work closely with what school districts in Washington State (as of February 2019)
If you are a district or preparation program provider that is interested in offering an Alternative Routes program, please see our provider resources page.
- Alternative Routes infographic
- Alternative Routes WAC
- Adding or changing an alternative route preparation program