Professional Educator Standards Board
PO BOX 47236
Olympia, WA 98504-7236
PESB Email: PESB@k12.wa.us
Paraeducator Email: Paraboard@k12.wa.us
Submit public comment
Our Boards welcome and encourage input from stakeholders, partners, and the general public.
Time is set aside at every meeting for oral public comment. Public comments may also be submitted in writing. In either format, this is a limited public forum only for comments on topics relevant to the meeting agenda or within the scope of the Board’s authority. The Chair of the Board has discretion over the public comment process, including but not limited to:
- Limiting the amount of time for each speaker to provide public comment or for the total time allotted to public comments at meetings;
- Restricting oral or written comments on topics not relevant to the meeting agenda, outside of the Board’s authority, or of a personal or confidential nature (such as HR matters).
Does the Board respond to public comment?
During meetings, board members and PESB staff will not respond to any public comment. However, following a board meeting, the executive committee reviews all public comment to help inform what, if any, additional action should be taken in a future meeting.
How do I submit public comment?
Provide live oral public comment at a board meeting
To provide live oral public comment at a board meeting, you must also provide a written copy of your statement. You can either bring a copy to the meeting, or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org the day before the meeting.
- Guidance for in person meetings. Public comment takes place at the beginning of every board meeting, so please plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start time. There will be a sign up sheet in the meeting room for you to indicate you would like to provide public comment. The Chair will use the sign up list to introduce speakers at the designated time. If you have supplemental materials for your comment, please bring at least 16 copies for members and staff. We are not able to make copies for you.
- Guidance for virtual meetings. In the event that a board meeting is held virtually, you can still provide live oral public comment similar to an in-person meeting. Prior to the start of the meeting, we will share a link to a signup sheet for attendees who would like to provide public comment. The Chair will use this list to introduce speakers, and staff will un-mute you when your name is called.
Provide written public comment
Written public comment received by 8 a.m. the Monday before the board meeting will be included in meeting materials, unless it does not meet the criteria above. The Executive Director or the Board Chair will determine whether public comments meet the criteria. Comments received after the above deadline and meeting the criteria will be included in a future meeting’s materials.
- Email: You can email your public comment to PESB@k12.wa.us with the subject line “Public Comment.”
- Mail: You can mail your public comment to PO Box 47236, Olympia, WA 98514-7236. Please include “Public Comment” near the top of your letter.
For questions concerning the public comment process, please email us at email@example.com.
Submit a public records request
To submit a public records request, please follow the instructions on the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s public disclosure page. The Professional Educator Standards Board follows the Public Records Act regarding disclosure of our public records.
Rule change petitions
Stakeholders, individuals, and other members of the public may petition the PESB regarding a specific rule change per 34.05.330 RCW by using the linked form (PDF). Specific rule changes by petitions should be mailed or emailed to PESB, 600 Washington Street, Suite 400, Olympia, WA 98504 firstname.lastname@example.org: Attention Maren Johnson.
Contact our staff
Professional Educator Standards Board staff
|Alexandra Manuel (Bio)||Executive Directoremail@example.com|
|Atela Tinnin||Systems, Equity and Workforce Program Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cameron Smith||Data and Technology Specialistemail@example.com|
|Theresa Leo||Operations Program Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Erica Hernandez-Scott||DEI Leadership and Learning Manageremail@example.com|
|Erin Peck||Communications Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jack Busbee||Associate Director, Educator Pathways and the Paraeducator Boardemail@example.com|
|Jisu Ryu||Program Manager for Program Support, Educator Assessment and Data Analysisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Laurie Weidner||Legislative and Policy Liaison||laurie.weidner.@k12.wa.us|
|Leiani Sherwin||Program Manager for Professional Learning, and Program Supportemail@example.com|
|Maren Johnson||Associate Director, Preparation and Credentialingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mark Bergeson||Operations Program Manageremail@example.com|
|Megan Moore||Preparation and Credentialing Program Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Meg Rosenberg||Educator Workforce and Pathways Specialistemail@example.com|
|Muzdah Malik||Educator Pathways Program Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nick Gillon||Educator Preparation Program Effectivenessemail@example.com|
|Sophia Keskey||Preparation and Credentialing Program Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Stacey Sowders||Program Manager for Educator Pathwaysemail@example.com|
|Stefanie Cady||Executive Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Victoria Moreland||Associate Director, Equity, Systems, and Workforce Developmentemail@example.com|
|Zoe Hammes-Hefti||Paraeducator Board Program Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Paraeducator Board staff
|Jack Busbee||Associate Director, Paraeducator Boardemail@example.com|
|Zoe Hammes-Hefti||Paraeducator Board, Program Specialistfirstname.lastname@example.org|