PESB operates a variety of standards to specify what educator preparation program (EPP) quality looks like. One of these sets of standards are for roles. Role standards define certificate-specific skills and knowledge for candidates. Providers of EPPs are responsible for ensuring candidates leave their program with these role specific skills and knowledge.
- Residency teacher: InTASC standards
- Residency principal: NELP building level-standards
- Residency program administrator: NELP building and/or district level standards
- Initial superintendent: NELP district level standards
- Initial Career and Technical Education (CTE) teacher: The standards for all CTE teacher certification based on business and industry work experience as described in WAC 181-77A-165 and as published by PESB (document).
- Initial CTE administrator: Career and Technical Education director competencies (document) as published by PESB.
- Residency school counselor: Embedded in the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP) standards.
- Residency school psychologist: Embedded in the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP): standards for graduate preparation of school psychologists.