PESB is offering grants of up to $2,000 per employee or contracted staff service provider in the role of educational interpreter to fund professional development and fees associated with reaching educational interpreter testing requirements. These grant funds are for educational interpreters or those interested in becoming educational interpreters. An educational interpreter for the Deaf is a school district employee, certificated or classified, who provides sign language translation, transliteration, and further explanation of concepts introduced by the teacher for students who are Deaf, DeafBlind, or hearing impaired.
Grant funds may be used for:
- Professional development, training, or mentoring services
- Paid time to attend training or mentoring opportunities
- Compensation for substitutes to enable educational interpreters to access professional development, training, or mentoring services during the instructional day without interrupting service to students
- Courses offered at institutions of higher education located in Washington and designed to improve professional skills to meet the educational needs of students who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Assessment fees for initial submission or assessment retakes to meet or exceed standards in RCW 28A.410.271(3)(a) and (b)
- Other activities as defined by the Washington professional educator standards board in consultation with the Washington center for deaf and hard of hearing youth and associations representing school administrators and educational interpreters
View the grant information packet
View the informational webinar recording
View the information webinar slide deck
Who may apply?
Washington State school districts, tribal schools, state approved private schools, charter schools, ESDs are eligible to apply.
|Grant application opens||September 12, 2022|
Grant informational webinar
|September 28, 2022 3:30-4:30|
|Grant applications due||November 18, 2022|
|Applicants notified of grantee status||November 23, 2022|
|Grant period||November 30, 2022 – June 30, 2023|
|Virtual grant kick-off meeting (required)||December 1, 2022|
|Grant applications due (2nd round)||January 27, 2023|
|Applicants notified of grantee status (2nd round)||February 1, 2023|
|Virtual grant kick-off meeting (2nd round)||February 7, 2023|
Review the frequently asked questions.
- Michael Nguyen, Educator Credentialing and Development Program Manager, at Michael.Nguyen@k12.wa.us or 360-489-4471
- Makenzie Dyer, Grant and Policy Specialist, at Makenzie.Dyer@k12.wa.us or 360-764-0853