Created in 2017, the nine-member Paraeducator Board establishes requirements and policies for paraeducator professional development certificates and makes policy recommendations for paraeducator advancement through education, professional learning, and increased instructional responsibility. It is administered by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
The board has the following powers and duties:
- Adopt minimum employment requirements and standards of practice for instructional paraeducators
- Establish requirements and policies for general and advanced paraeducator certificates
- Develop requirements and policies for paraeducator subject matter certificates in English Language Learner and Special Education
- Make policy recommendations for a paraeducator career ladder that will increase opportunities for professional advancement
The Paraeducator Board consists of nine members appointed to four-year terms. The Chair is appointed by the Governor. A member will continue to serve on the Board, regardless of term expiration, until either the Governor appoints a new candidate to serve, or the Member’s term is renewed by the Governor.
|Member||Title and term information|
|Yukari Amos||Department of Education, Development, Teaching, and Learning, Central Washington University
Term one: July 17, 2019 – July 17, 2023
|Mandy Jessee||Principal, Fisher Elementary
Term one: September 9, 2022 – September 9, 2023
|Pamella Johnson||Board Chair
Academic & Behavioral Intervention Specialist, Rochester School District
Term one: March 28, 2022 – August 31, 2023
|Doug Pace||Resource Paraeducator, East Valley School District
Term one: May 21, 2021 – May 21, 2025
|Cindy Rockholt||Assistant Superintendent, Educator Growth and Development, OSPI
Term two: July 24, 2021 – July 24, 2025
|Laura Rogers||Board Vice-chair
ELL Paraeducator, Everett School District
Term two: June 14, 2022- July 24, 2025
|Lizzy Sebring||WSPTA Advocacy Director
Term one: April 13, 2020 – April 13, 2023
|Jamie Wells||Director, Center for Excellence for Careers in Education, Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
Term one: July 14, 2020 – July 14, 2023
Become a board member
- Want more information? If you’d like information on serving as a member of the Paraeducator Board, please contact us at (360) 725-6275.
- Ready to apply? If you are ready to apply to serve on the Paraeducator Board, please complete the application found on the Governor’s Boards and Commissions website.