Grow Your Own (GYO) educator infrastructure pilot initiative
A privately funded Gates Foundation effort ending June 31, 2019, this initiative supports seven (7) districts in the Roadmap region (Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, Tukwila, and Seattle) to build an educator workforce that is representative of the student population the districts serve and develops individuals to teach in the district’s identified high need subject areas.
- Year 1 and year 2: districts in the Roadmap region will develop comprehensive plans for GYO programs and for diversifying their educator workforce.
- Year 3 and beyond: districts will have developed a sustainability plan for GYO educator efforts and evidence of districts reporting an increase in the teacher pipeline of diverse candidates being identified.
Technical and funding support
This initiative builds on the work done with the GYO bilingual teacher work group and the Recruiting Washington Teachers work group, focusing current efforts on facilitating GYO infrastructure development in the Roadmap region through the following actions:
- Providing coordination and technical assistance for the GYO educator infrastructure planning and implementation group; includes 2-4 check-in calls a month and 4-6 meetings a year.
- Providing districts infrastructure funding to implement and evaluate GYO and teacher pipeline efforts and program effectiveness.
- Facilitating two statewide Diversity Education Work Group (DEW) events and coordinating two Roadmap regional Grow Your Own Gatherings.
Additional GYO information
For questions regarding the GYO educator infrastructure pilot initiative, contact Victoria.Moreland@k12.wa.us.