In Summer 2015, the Professional Educator Standards Board released a RFI — “Alternative Route Block Grants” — to support alternative route programs across the state. Alternative route to teaching block grants will provide funding for preparation programs, districts, and candidate scholarships to support alternative route programs engaging grow your own teacher strategies to address district need.
Teams will need to apply for the Block Grant. Applicant teams can be higher education institutions, community colleges, and other non-profit organizations. Program must be in partnership with a school district or consortium of districts. Teams will be selected to participate based on their commitment and ability to partner with one another in order to create effective alternative route programs that meet district workforce development needs. For more information see the ARBG 2017 Application Instruction Packet (PDF).
Technical assistance sessions will be provided for all teams applying for a block grant. Teams will receive guidance in creating strong partnerships, developing clear expectations, identifying how to structure the alternative routes program for greater success, and understanding the regional and state needs of districts.
Tentative dates for upcoming Alternative Route Block Grant activities are now available. These dates are tentative and are subject to change:
- April 27th, 2017: “Pre-Info” Session at WACTE Meeting, Eastern Washington University
- June 1st, 2017: Application for 2017-2019 Released (PDF)
- June 22nd, 2017: Information Session at Renton Technical College, Presentation (PDF)
- June 27th, 2017: Information Session via webinar, Presentation (PDF)
- August 1st, 2017: Letter of Intent to Apply is Due (for new and existing Block Grant programs)
- August 11th, 2017: Rubric for 2017-2019 Application (PDF) Released
- August 31st, 2017: Alternative Route Block Grant Evaluation is due (for current Block Grant recipients)
- September 11th, 2017: Technical Assistance Webinar
- October 9th, 2017: Alternative Route Block Grant applications are due
- November-December 2017: Awarded programs will be notified, candidates starting Summer or Fall 2018
- ARBG 2017 Application Instruction Packet (PDF)
- RCW 28A.660.040
- Alternative Route Descriptions
- Application for New Alternative Route Programs
- Alternative Route Resources
- June 22, 2017 Info Session Presentation (PDF)
- June 27, 2017 Info Session Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- Find a WA State Alternative Route
- “Grow Your Own” Teachers Report
- “Grow Your Own” Resources Page