What is an educational interpreter for the deaf?
An educational interpreter for the deaf is a school district employee, certificated or classified, who provides sign language translation and further explanation of concepts introduced by the teacher for students who are deaf, deaf-blind, or hearing impaired.
What are the options for meeting the educational interpreter requirements?
The Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) sets performance standards for educational interpreters for the deaf. These performance standards can be met through one of two available assessments:
- Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) with a minimum score of 3.5, and the EIPA written test with a passing score; or
- National Interpreter Certification from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), and the EIPA written test with a passing score.
What happens if an educational interpreter does not meet the requirements?
An educational interpreter who was employed prior to the 2016-17 school year who has not achieved the performance standard may continue to provide educational interpreter services to students for one calendar year after receipt of their most recent educational interpreter assessment results, or 18 months after completing their most recent educational interpreter assessment, whichever period is longer.
These educational interpreters who wish to continue providing interpreter services must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the employing school or school district, ongoing efforts to successfully achieve the required performance standard. Schools and districts may consult with PESB for guidance in determining whether an educational interpreter has satisfactorily demonstrated ongoing efforts to successfully achieve the performance standard.
- Educational interpreters performance standards – OSPI report (2017)
- OSPI feasibility study of alternative assessments
- Standards for educational interpreters – PESB report (2013)
- Establishes the standards for educational interpreters for the deaf
- Senate bill 5142 (2017) Educational interpreters
- WAC 392-172A-02090
- RCW 28A.410.271