Beginning with the school year 2019-20, all employed paraeducators must meet the following minimum employment requirements:
- Be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent (for more detailed information on what is considered equivalent, please read our FAQ (document)
In addition, a paraeducator must meet one of the following:
- Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Have earned 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university
- Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council*
ParaPro test information
The ETS ParaPro assesses knowledge and skills in reading, writing, math, and assisting classroom instruction. Test takers have 2.5 hours to finish the assessment, and they must meet or exceed Washington’s qualifying score of 461.
- For more information on resources like practice tests and study guides, visit the ETS ParaPro website
- View a list of testing centers
- Beginning February 2, 2021, you can take the ParaPro assessment remotely from your own computer at home or another secure location. Learn more.
* This apprenticeship is a professional development program for classified employees in the state of Washington focused on paraeducators who are interested in obtaining an Associate’s Degree. For more information on the Paraeducator Apprenticeship program, please visit Washington State Apprenticeships in Public Education.