Beginning with the school year 2019-20, all hired paraeducators must meet the following minimum employment requirements:
- Be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent (for more detailed information on what is considered equivalent, please read our FAQ (document)
In addition, a paraeducator must meet one of the following:
- Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment (resources to help you prepare for the ETS ParaPro)
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Have earned 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university
- Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council*
* This apprenticeship is a professional development program for classified employees in the state of Washington focused on paraeducators who are interested in obtaining an Associate’s Degree. For more information on the Paraeducator Apprenticeship program, please visit Washington State Apprenticeships in Public Education.