Statutory Charge of the PESB Paraeducator Work Group
The 2014 legislative charge articulated in SSB 6129 requires the Professional Educator Standards Board to convene a work group with designated representative membership to produce the reports and recommendations over a period of two fiscal years. The first set of deliverables is due to the education committees of the Legislature on January 10, 2015, and must include recommendations for:
- Minimum employment standards for paraeducators who work in English language learner, transitional bilingual, federal limited English proficiency, learning assistance, and federal disadvantaged programs;
- A career ladder that encourages paraeducators to pursue advanced education and professional development as well as increased instructional ability and responsibility; and
- Professional development for certificated employees that focuses on maximizing the success of paraeducators in classrooms.
- The work group must also report on proposals for an articulated pathway for teacher preparation.
The second set of deliverables is due to the Legislature by January 10, 2016, and must include recommendations for:
- Minimum employment standards for paraeducators who work in basic education and special education programs; and
- Professional development and training to help paraeducators meet the employment standards.