It is the responsibility of preparation program providers to ensure their educator candidates complete course work on issues of abuse and suicide prevention.
Course content must include:
- knowledge and skill standards relating to recognition, initial screening, and response to emotional or behavioral distress in students
- This includes indicators of possible substance abuse, violence, and youth suicide.
- the identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse
- commercial sexual abuse of a minor
- sexual exploitation of a minor
- information on the impact of abuse on the behavior and learning abilities of students
- discussion of the responsibilities of an educator to report abuse or provide assistance to students who are victims of abuse
- methods for teaching students about abuse of all types and their prevention