The edTPA is a national subject-specific performance assessment and support system used by teacher preparation programs. The assessment features a common architecture focused on three tasks – planning, instruction, and assessment. Each task contains 5 rubrics. The Washington edTPA has three additional rubrics of Student Voice to the national 15 rubrics (13 for national world languages and classical languages prompts as they do not contain rubrics related to academic language).
- Using edTPA (PDF) and the teacher performance assessment: what and why? (folder) – Information about the edTPA framework and rubrics
- edTPA website – Information about edTPA registration, fees and faculty
- edTPA resource hub – Useful resources about edTPA and Student Voice
Who scores edTPA portfolios?
Teachers and faculty members have the opportunity to score edTPA portfolios and earn clock hours (WAC). Clock hours for edTPA scorers:
- 10 clock hours will be awarded per 4 portfolios scored, up to 20 clock hours per year
- In addition, 10 clock hours will be awarded for the initial scorer training completed
Student Voice in Washington edTPA is defined as an “ongoing reflective self-assessment expressed in the words of the learner for the purpose of improving teaching and learnings.” The Student Voice rubrics and prompts emphasize the development of students’ metacognitive skills. Programs are required to refer to candidates’ edTPA scores for the recommendations for certification.
The Student Voice revising committee was convened to update the Student Voice handbook based on the field test data in spring 2018. Programs and candidates can find the updated Student Voice rubrics and prompts in the 2018-2019 revised Student Voice rubrics and prompts (PDF).
edTPA policies for WA educators
PESB approves passing scores for Washington edTPA and sets related policies and guidelines.
Timeline of edTPA passing score transition
|Timeline||During the 2017-20 edTPA program years|
|Submission dates||Submissions between September 28, 2017 and August 6, 2020|
|Score report dates||Score reports between October 19, 2017 and August 27, 2020|
|edTPA passing score||
(34 for world/classical languages)
- Sample video consent forms (folder) (multiple languages) – Video consent forms and guidelines for programs.
- Washington Educator Preparation Programs can select, open, and download these forms. PESB’s Assistant Attorney General (AAG) reviewed and approved these forms and suggests that the content remain intact. However, institutions are encouraged to add their letterhead and any additional information to meet the institutions’ needs.
- Alignment tables (spreadsheet) – Recommended placements and edTPA handbook
- Scenario document (document) – Guidance in determining field placements and assessments for first tier candidates adding multiple endorsements
- Establishing a candidate fee and purchasing vouchers (login required) – Information about vouchers
- Each program is allocated a certain number of vouchers for the edTPA test takers. Programs may purchase vouchers to provide candidates with full or partial credit toward fees for test registration and preparation resources.
- Student Voice rubrics related policy (document) – Adopted recommendations from the Student Voice revising committee about program/candidate support, retake, score reports, and condition codes.
- PESB policy decisions related to edTPA – Timeline of PESB decisions and policy changes of edTPA related policies
- edTPA coordinators meetings – Recordings of past edTPA coordinator meetings