Changes are coming to the Alternative Routes requirements! Learn more in our January 2019 board meeting materials.
What is an alternative route?
Alternative Routes to Certification are non-traditional teacher preparation programs that operate as a partnership between a teacher preparation program and one or more school districts (read more about Alternative Route programs) in order to develop teachers in state and local shortage areas.
Any institution wishing to add an Alternative Route program must complete an Alternative Route to Certification proposal form and present it to the Board for approval.
What routes can our program offer?
There are four Alternative Routes that a program may offer, and a program may choose to offer one, all, or any combination of these Routes, as it fits with their program design and districts they are seeking to serve. Below is the description of each route:
- Route 1 – Employed district staff with an associate’s degree (or equivalent).
- Route 2 – Employed district staff with a baccalaureate degree.
- Route 3 – Individuals with a baccalaureate degree (not employed with a district partner).
- Route 4 – Individuals with a baccalaureate degree, for whom the district will secure a limited certificate and employ (as teacher of record if on a limited certificate) while seeking certification.
Add a new alternative route program
To apply, submit an Alternative Routes proposal form. Our staff will work closely with you to ensure you have the information you need to develop your Alternative Route program.
How do we submit our proposal?
- You must submit a final draft of the form to us at least 60 days in advance of the Board meeting at which the Alternative Route proposal will be considered (see upcoming board meeting dates). The 60 day deadline ensures us ample time for review and to offer you feedback before the form goes to the Board.
- A program representative should plan to attend the Board meeting prepared with a 10 minute presentation on the program design, and answer any questions Board members may have. We will work with you as you prepare your materials and presentation for your final proposal.
- Please submit your proposal form to Sophia Keskey at email@example.com
- Alternative Route to Certification approval form (document)
- Alternative Route addendum form (document)
Key due dates
|Board meetings||Final draft proposal due|
|May 16-17, 2019||March 15, 2019|
|July 15-16, 2019||May 17, 2019|
|Sept. 26-27, 2019||July 26, 2019|
|Nov. 14-15, 2019||Sept. 13, 2019|
|Jan. 16-17, 2020||Nov. 15, 2019|
|March 19-20, 2020||Jan. 17, 2020|
|May 21-22, 2020||March 20, 2020|
Change or add an existing alternative route
- This form must be completed and submitted to us in order to make appropriate changes to our website and program monitoring information systems.
- After we have received and reviewed the form, we will notify you if you may move forward with the proposed change.
- The form does not need to go before the Board.