Changes are coming to the Alternative Routes requirements! Learn more in our January 2019 board meeting materials.
What is an alternative route?
An alternative route to certification is a non-traditional teacher preparation program that operates as a partnership between a teacher preparation program and one or more school districts (read more about alternative route programs).
Any institution wishing to add an alternative route program must complete an alternative route to certification proposal form and present it to the Board for approval.
What routes can our program offer?
There are four alternative routes that a program may offer, and a program may choose to offer one, all, or any combination of these routes, as it fits with their program design and districts they are seeking to serve. Below is the description of each route:
- Route 1 – Employed classified instructional staff with transferable AA degrees seeking certification with endorsements in special education, or bilingual or ELL endorsements combined with another endorsement.
- Route 2 – Employed classified instructional staff with baccalaureate degrees seeking certification with endorsements in a locally-determined shortage area.
- Route 3 – Individuals with baccalaureate degrees seeking certification. Priority shall be given to those seeking endorsements in a locally-determined shortage area.
- Route 4 – Individuals with baccalaureate degrees for whom the district will secure a conditional or emergency substitute certificate and employ (as teacher of record if on a conditional certificate) while seeking certification with an endorsement in a locally-determined shortage area.
Add a new alternative route program
To apply, submit an alternative route proposal form. Our staff will work closely with you to ensure you have the information you need to develop your alternative route program.
How do we submit our proposal?
- You must submit a final draft of the form to us at least 60 days in advance of the Board meeting at which the alternative route proposal will be considered (see upcoming board meeting dates). The 60 day deadline ensures us ample time for review and to offer you feedback before the form goes to the Board.
- A program representative should plan to attend the Board meeting prepared with a 15 minute presentation on the program design, and answer any questions Board members may have. We will work with you as you prepare your materials and presentation for your final proposal.
- Please submit your proposal form to Sophia Keskey at email@example.com
- Alternative Route to Certification approval form (document)
- Alternative route addendum form (document)
Key due dates
|Board meetings||Final draft proposal due|
|Jan. 11-12, 2018||Nov. 10, 2017|
|Mar. 15-16, 2018||Jan. 12, 2018|
|May 17-18, 2018||Mar. 16, 2018|
|July 24, 2018||May 25, 2018|
|Sept. 27-28, 2018||July 27, 2018|
|Nov. 29-30, 2018||Sept. 28, 2018|
|Jan. 10-11, 2019||Nov. 8, 2018|
Change or add an existing alternative route
- This form must be completed and submitted to us in order to make appropriate changes to our website and program monitoring information systems.
- After we have received and reviewed the form, we will notify you if you may move forward with the proposed change.
- The form does not need to go before the Board.