In order for our public schools to be successful in creating positive pathways and responsive instruction for all youth served in our public schools, we must immediately enhance the capacity of our teaching force so that they are well prepared to exhibit the knowledge, skills, and characteristics of culturally competent members of our educational profession and successfully serve diverse populations represented in our public schools.
- PESB Report “Preparing Teachers for Schools as They Are: Recommendations for Cultural Competence for All Teachers in Washington State”
- Achieve educator workforce diversity that more closely reflects P-12 student population by:
- Evaluate program recruitment activities via indicator-based review.
- Provide Technical Assistance for improved preparation program recruitment practices.
- Implement and evaluate redesigned Alternative Route opportunities.
- Expand teaching academies with revised Careers in Education Curriculum reflecting RWT program.
- Advocate for and support full implementation of OSPI’s State Equity Plan.
- Examine and call out promising practices by districts and preparation programs.
- Redirect inservice certification fees for continued education for experienced educators in areas of new knowledge and skill competencies expected of preservice candidates; particularly culturally competent professional practice.