Over the past several years, the PESB has been gradually transitioning Washington standards and assessments to the use of national standards and assessments. Simultaneously, the PESB has convened committees to revise certain Washington-specific endorsement competencies to align better with the standards and competencies developed by subject area national professional associations. Please review the table below to identify which competencies and assessments are currently used for each endorsement. For the areas that do not have direct links to endorsement competencies, please contact Jisu Ryu for more information.
National standards implementation timeline
The national standards adopted by the Board will be used for programs who are offering the related endorsement areas to pre-service or in-service teachers seeking to obtain their endorsements. The content assessment educators take as part of the requirements to earn the endorsement will also be aligned to those standards. The national standards implementation timeline for Business and Marketing and Early Childhood Education is like the following:
Business and marketing
- 2019 Fall: Programs should implement the new standards that incorporated the NBEA standards (Please refer to the side-by-side chart (document))
- 2020 Fall: The corresponding NES Business Education assessment will be adopted
Early Childhood Education
- For Early Childhood Education, the draft versions of the revised NAEYC standards were vetted. We plan to adopt the final version of NAEYC standards like the following:
- Use WA competencies until the new standards are published
- Once the new standards are published, staff will review the standards and compare them with the draft version.
- If there is a significant difference, the staff will start a process of reviewing the standards with related stakeholder groups.
- If there is minimal or no difference, the published standards will be adopted and implemented.
- Please note that the NES Early Childhood Education(ECE) assessment was adopted when PESB aligned the Washington ECE endorsement competencies with the Common Core standards. As the NES ECE assessment is already in place, we do not anticipate any change in terms of ECE content assessment.
|Specialty Endorsement||Endorsement Competencies||Assessment|
|Deaf Education||Deaf Education competencies||WEST-E|
|Elementary Mathematics Specialist||Elementary Mathematics Specialist competencies||N/A|
|Environment and Sustainability Education||Environment and Sustainability competencies||N/A|
|Gifted Education||Gifted Education competencies||N/A|
|Teacher of the Visually Impaired||Teacher of the Visually Impaired competencies||N/A|
Standards-Based Benchmarks by Educator Role
These contain the criteria/strands and benchmarks at the Residency, Professional, and Career levels.