Questions about an individual’s certificate or testing status should be directed to the OSPI Certification Office.
Per RCW 28A.410.220 individuals seeking admission to a state approved educator preparation program may submit evidence of a score on an assessment deemed of equal rigor by the Professional Educator Standards Board, such as the SAT or ACT, in lieu of the WEST-B. Acceptable alternative assessments and scores can be approved and posted by the Board and be no lower than the national average for that assessment as set by the Professional Educator Standards Board.
Candidates entering a Washington approved teaching preparation program may substitute a passing score on one or more sections of the SAT or ACT for the equivalent passing scores on the WEST-B. The adopted passing scores for SAT and ACT are listed below.
27.5 (beginning 3/5/2016)
27 (beginning 3/5/2016)
500 (through 3/4/2016)
28 (beginning 3/5/2016)
490 (through 3/4/2016)
8 (beginning 9/1/2016)
23 (beginning 9/1/2015 through 8/31/2016)
8 (through 8/31/2015)
|Updated August 2, 2017|
Basic skills alternative details
- The SAT writing test was added in 2005. This means no writing score will be accepted for SAT before 2005.
- SAT Score reports prior to October 2004 will have “verbal” scores which are the critical reading scores. If the score reports are from October 1996 to September 2004, then the verbal scores are the same as the reading scores beyond 2004. Use those scores to see if the candidate has satisfied the requirement.
- SAT scores that equal or exceed the cut scores in the table above meet the entrance criteria, regardless of when the test was taken.
- SAT October 2004 and later score reports will have critical reading, mathematics and writing scores listed if the candidate took the tests.
- SAT new test started administration March 2016.
- Concordance Table used to determine new scores for candidates taking new SAT test.
- Concordance Table online for scores back to 1996.
- All ACT scores that equal or exceed the cut scores in the table above meet the entrance criteria, regardless of when the test was taken.
- ACT writing was added February 2005 so no ACT writing score will be accepted before February 2005.
- ACT reading was added October 1989. No ACT reading score will be accepted before October 1989.
- ACT writing subsection was updated and a new version was administered September 2015 (see score as of 9/2015).
- ACT writing subsection test has not changed but how the scores will be reported will change, as of September 2016. The writing subsection test will be report on the range of 2-12. The acceptable writing score will be 8.