Professional growth plans (PGPs) can play a significant role in obtaining and renewing an educator credential. OSPI’s certification office provides information for individuals with questions about their own licensure.
Equity-based certificate renewal requirements
PGPs aligned to the cultural competency, diversity, equity, and inclusion (CCDEI) standards can be used to meet the equity-based school practices requirement. Learn more about the equity-based school practices certificate renewal requirements.
Government-to-government relations requirement
PGPs may not be used to meet the government-to-government relations requirement.
STEM integration certificate renewal requirement
PGPs including at least one goal with an emphasis on STEM integration can be used to meet the STEM professional development requirement for certificate renewal. When recording the PGPs in OSPI eCertification, teachers need to indicate they met the STEM certificate renewal requirement. Educator records may be audited. Learn more about the STEM integration certificate renewal requirement and PGPs and STEM.
Standards for PGP alignment
The following standards are used by in-service teachers to align their PGP for certificate renewal
- Cultural competency, diversity, equity, and inclusion (CCDEI) standards
- Or, Social Emotional Learning (SEL) standards, benchmarks, and indicators
- Or, professional educator role standards:
- Teachers: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) standards, including the Five Core Propositions.
- CTE teachers: Standards under WAC 181-77a-165 and as published by PESB (document).
Educators are required to complete a self-assessment as the first step in the PGP planning process. Educators may use one of the PESB created self-assessments (below), or another of their choosing.
- Cultural competency, diversity, equity and inclusion standards self-assessment
- Social Emotional Learning standards self-assessment
- Teacher self-assessment
PGP samples by role
The samples below are meant to be a guide for teachers completing a PGP. Identifying information within each sample has been eliminated as much as possible. Although the standards that PGPs are aligned to have recently changed, the samples still demonstrate the alignment of goals to standards, professional growth activities, evidence collected, and reflections. You will also find at least one PGP sample that does not meet expectations, and a corresponding rubric with comments added to help identify areas of strength or weakness.
CTE teacher samples
- Coming soon
- Meets expectations sample 1 (document)
- Meets expectations sample 2 (document)
- Does not meet expectations sample 1 (document) and corresponding rubric (document)
- Does not meet expectations sample 2 (document) and corresponding rubric (document)