What is a professional growth plan?
Professional growth plans (PGPs) are job-embedded, self-directed professional development. With a PGP, teachers, administrators, paraeducators, and ESAs set their own goals, align them to certification standards, design an action plan, and collect evidence documenting growth towards achieving their goals. Educators then reflect on the process. There is no cost to an educator for a PGP.
Only one PGP may be completed each year. PGPs are completed between July 1 of one year and June 30 of the next. A Washington certified educator must review the PGP for completion. PGPs for program completion are part of Washington State’s educator preparation programs.
Clock hours from PGPs are eligible for use in salary advancement, and may be used for certificate renewal. Clock hours from PGPs may also be used in the paraeducator certificate program. PGPs are equivalent to 25 clock hours. PGPs completed prior to June 30, 2018, are equivalent to 30 clock hours.
Imagine these scenarios
- A teacher creates and implements student growth goals for her focused evaluation – and now receives clock hours for her work at no cost.
- Two teachers, a principal, and a counselor at a rural school collaborate on a year long initiative to improve school climate. They are hours from a major town, but with PGPs, these educators can acquire clock hours for activities right in their local school.
- A science teacher attends a week long marine biology seminar on the Oregon coast. With a PGP, this teacher can use their out-of-state learning experiences to earn Washington State clock hours.
How do I complete a professional growth plan?
- Complete the PGP template for certificate renewal – PESB form 1697 (document).
- Attach evidence from your focused evaluation, PLC, project, or other learning experience.
- Have a certificated Washington State educator review and sign.
- Turn in the verification form (PDF) according to your district procedures for consideration for salary advancement and record in OSPI e-certification for certificate renewal.