In order for an educator to teach in assignment, their endorsement must match the course they are instructing. This assignment tool can be used to determine which courses are matched with which endorsement so that a teacher remains in assignment. Course names and codes are published annually by CEDARS. If you have questions about assignment policy, please email us.
Can an educator teach out of endorsement?
An educator may teach outside of their endorsement area if certain conditions are met. If individuals are assigned outside of their endorsement area, the following need to happen:
- The out-of-endorsement assignment needs to be approved by the local school board.
- The district and the teacher “mutually develop a written plan” for assistance to the teacher. The plan needs to provide “a reasonable amount of planning and study time associated specifically with the out-of-endorsement assignment.” Plans might include mentoring, PLC time with teachers in the content area, taking a course, independent study, and so on. The plan does not have to include acquiring the endorsement, although it may.
- Teachers cannot be subject to nonrenewal or probation based on evaluations of their teaching effectiveness in the out-of-endorsement assignments.
- There are other specific provisions in WAC related to teaching special education out-of-endorsement.
This out-of-endorsement policy does not apply to CTE.
How do I use this tool?
To identify endorsement matches for a course:
- Deselect “all” from the course filter.
- Select the courses you are interested in.
- Leave “all” selected in the endorsement filter.
To identify courses matched to a particular endorsement:
- Deselect “all” from the Endorsement filter.
- Select the Endorsements you are interested in.
- Leave “All” selected in the Course filter.
Download assignment matches
Guidance for grade levels
Some endorsements include a developmental level: early childhood, elementary, or middle level. These developmental levels are provided for guidance purposes, and are not requirements for educator placement. School districts can consider the following when pairing endorsements with grade designations:
- Early childhood: Birth to third grade
- Elementary: Kindergarten to grade eight
- Middle level: Grade four to grade nine
*An asterisk denotes endorsements previously issued to teachers transferring in from out of state.