At its March 2018, the PESB made the decision to add the option of using a valid certificate issued by the NBPTS, NASP, or ASHA to be presented in place of the clock hour requirement for renewal of residency, professional, and continuing certificates, in the roles of teacher, administrator, and ESA.
This option is added to those currently in place for teachers, administrators, and ESAs holding residency, professional, or continuing certificates to renew a certificate, as follows:
- 100 clock hours or the equivalent in college credit,
- Or, by completing four annual PGPs during the five-year validity date of the certificate,
- Or, by combining completed PGPs with clock hours for a total of 100 hours. (e.g. 3 PGPs + 25 CH = 100 CH),
- Or, a valid National Board Certificate issued by the NBPTS; or a valid NCSP issued by the NASP; or a valid CCC issued by ASHA.
Holders of certificates in multiple roles (for example, teacher and principal; or teacher and ESA) may also renew with one of the above options.
Certain certificates have role specific renewal provisions. Please see http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/ for details.
The following documents may be helpful in updating staff:
- Updated flyer (Document) on renewing a Washington state certificate with a National Board certificate
- Certification Update (Slidedeck) presentation
Note acronym definition:
- NBCT: National Board Certified Teacher (issued by NBPTS)
- NBPTS: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- NCSP: Nationally Certified School Psychologist (issued by NASP)
- NASP: National Association of School Psychologists
- CCC: Certificate of Clinical Competence (issued by ASHA)
- ASHA: American Speech Hearing Association