PESB has developed an RWT District Informational Packet (PDF) in order to help districts and teachers interested in starting their own program think through some of the program needs. This packet provides some foundational information, a curriculum overview, and suggestions for thinking about partnerships and putting together an implementation team.
Program design flexibility
While there are many ways to design and deliver an exploration of teaching course, the following are common elements of how most programs are designed:
- Most students are juniors or seniors.
- There is a connection to other courses that may support future teachers, such as human development, child development, or health and human services courses.
- Academic support and advising are embedded in the program, as they are critical to high school graduation and college acceptance.
- There are criteria for program admission and some kind of selection process that aid in program retention and ensuring students, teachers, and administrators view the course as requiring rigor and dedication on the part of all involved.
- Scheduling the course should include considerations of time for travel to school sites and the elementary or other site’s schedule.