Paraeducator certificate program
The Paraeducator Certificate Program offers statewide standards-based training for all paraeducators, and supports a career growth ladder for those who wish to advance their career as a paraeducator or pursue a teaching profession.
School districts are required to provide four days (28 hours) of training on the Fundamental Course of Study to their paraeducators by the end of the 2020-21 school year. This is a change as of the close of the 2020 legislative session. This update was made on March 18, 2020.
- Regional share fair for district implementation leaders to learn from each others’ challenges and successes in implementing the Fundamental Course of Study. Complete this form to attend.
- May 28, 1 p.m. online, via Zoom
- The training begins with the 28-hour Fundamental Course of Study (FCS), a course focused on the new paraeducator standards of practice.
- Following the completion of the FCS, a paraeducator has three years to complete an additional 70 hours of training to earn the General Paraeducator Certificate.
- A paraeducator may choose to earn a Subject Matter Certificate by completing 20 hours of training. There are two Subject Matter Certificates: English Language Learner and Special Education. These certificates expire after five years (may be renewed), and are not prerequisites for employment. A paraeducator may use their Subject Matter Certificate towards meeting the requirements of the general certificate.
- Finally, a paraeducator may earn the Advanced Paraeducator Certificate once they complete the general certificate and an additional 75 hours of advanced professional development. The advanced certificate expires after five years (may be renewed) and it is not a prerequisite for employment.
*Training is required only if funded by the Legislature. If funded, school districts are responsible for ensuring all instructional paraeducators meet the requirements of the FCS and General Paraeducator Certificate (up to the funded amount).
- Implementation folder
- Online training courses
- Reimbursement information
- Sign up for the Paraeducator Board newsletter
If you have questions about the program, please email email@example.com