The nine-member Washington Paraeducator Board was created out of the 2017 legislative session (PDF) and is administrated by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
The board has the following powers and duties:
- Adopt minimum employment requirements and standards of practice for paraeducators
- Establish requirements and policies for general and advanced paraeducator certificates
- Develop requirements and policies for paraeducator subject matter certificates in English Language Learners and Special Education
- Approve and develop courses required to meet paraeducator certification requirements
- Make policy recommendations for a paraeducator career ladder that will increase opportunities for professional advancement
The rules, requirements, and policies adopted by the board must be based on the recommendation of the Paraeducator Work Group.