The nine-member Washington Paraeducator Board was created out of the 2017 legislative session and is administrated by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
The board has the following powers and duties:
- Adopt minimum employment requirements and standards of practice for paraeducators
- Establish requirements and policies for general and advanced paraeducator certificates
- Develop requirements and policies for paraeducator subject matter certificates in English Language Learners and Special Education
- Approve and develop courses required to meet paraeducator certification requirements
- Make policy recommendations for a paraeducator career ladder that will increase opportunities for professional advancement