Administration of the Educator Retooling Conditional Loan has transferred to the Washington Student Achievement Council. PESB no longer accepts applications for conditional loans. Please visit their website for conditional loan details or contact email@example.com for questions.
The educator retooling conditional loan provides financial support to Washington State certified educators looking to add a shortage area teaching endorsement.
Retooling conditional loan details
What is the educator retooling conditional loan?
About the retooling conditional loan
The retooling conditional loan supports Washington State certified educators looking to pursue an add-on teaching endorsement in a geographic or subject-matter shortage area.
Recipients of the conditional loan are awarded up to $3,000 per endorsement add-on. Funds are awarded in exchange for teaching service in the add-on endorsement area.
Retooling funds can cover…
Educational expenses for the endorsement add-on, such as tuition for coursework, the endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and other educational expenses (e.g. books, supplies, transportation).
Am I eligible to apply?
Washington State teacher certified
- You must hold a current, regular Washington teaching certificate. We can only award funds to currently certified teachers looking to add endorsements to their Residency, Professional, or Continuing teacher certificate. Confirm your eligibility by checking your educator credentials in the e-certification system.
- You are not eligible for the conditional loan if you hold a limited certificate, substitute certificate only, Career and Technical Education (CTE) certificate only, or are on a temporary permit pending testing. Learn more about the types of certificates available in Washington State by visiting the OSPI Certification webpage.
- You cannot use the conditional loan to earn an Educational Staff Associate (e.g., School Counselor or Psychologist) or CTE certificate.
Current employment status
- You must be currently employed as a teacher at a Washington K-12 school, district, or educational service district, including substitute teachers.
- Exception: You are also eligible if you hold an elementary education endorsement but are not currently employed as an elementary teacher.
Your add-on endorsement must be in a subject or geographic shortage area. Review the complete list of regional shortages.
- You must take one of the following pathways to add the endorsement:
- Endorsement test only; or
- Completion of an add-on endorsement program at a college or university.
- Visit the adding endorsements page for more information about each of the pathways.
- You must attend an educator preparation program authorized by WSAC. Check with your college or university or contact WSAC directly to find out if your program is authorized.
No existing service obligations
- You are not eligible for the conditional loan if you have an unsatisfied teaching service obligation for a previously received conditional loan scholarship. You must first fulfill that teaching obligation or repay the remaining portion to WSAC prior to applying for the retooling conditional loan.
What should I know as a conditional loan applicant?
- You may only apply for one conditional loan per endorsement add-on. Each loan requires a separate application and incurs a separate teaching service obligation.
- You may apply for a second loan only if it is for an additional endorsement and you have completed the full teaching service obligation of the first award.
- The retooling conditional loan cannot be used for endorsements that have already been completed.
Preference will be given to the following candidates based on state law:
- Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces; and
- National Guard members.
Preference will also be given to the candidates pursuing Bilingual Education and English Language Learner (ELL) endorsements who are:
- Assigned to schools required under state or federal accountability measures to implement a plan for improvement; or
- Assigned to schools whose enrollment of ELL students has increased an average of more than 5% per year over the previous three years.
What should I know as a conditional loan recipient?
The retooling conditional loan is a loan that the state will forgive in exchange for meeting the teaching service obligation. Funds are distributed directly to the recipient following the terms outlined in the Promissory Note.
Conditions of the teaching service obligation include:
- Completing the endorsement add-on within two years of the award payment date (per conditional loan);
- Teaching in the add-on endorsement area after earning the endorsement (partial assignments accepted); and
- Teaching in a Washington State K-12 public school after earning the endorsement.
- The conditional loan will be forgiven when the recipient either:
- Two full-time school years as a certificated teacher for each year of conditional loan funding received, or
- One full-time school year as a certificated teacher in a shortage area for each year of conditional loan funding received.
The Promissory Note includes further details about the teaching service obligation, in order to earn loan forgiveness and avoid repayment of the remaining loan principal, interest, and fees. Contact WSAC directly with questions regarding loan forgiveness.
When should I apply?
Application timeline and deadlines
Since the endorsement add-on must be completed within two years of the award payment date, applying when your program is underway or will start in the near future is an ideal timeline. Candidates who don’t complete their program within two years run the risk of loan repayment.
Please visit the WSAC website to apply.
How do I apply?
The administration of the program has transferred to the Washington Student Achievement Council. PESB no longer accepts applications for the Retooling Conditional Loan.
Please visit the WSAC website to apply.
- Please contact Teachers@WSAC.wa.gov