If you are looking for individual certificate information, please visit the OSPI Certification website.
What can I teach?
Individuals may teach outside of their endorsement area if certain conditions are met. Local school boards must approve non-matching teacher assignments and provide support to the teacher being assigned out-of-endorsement. PESB publishes guidance on the most appropriate match between endorsements and courses, which is available in workforce development assignment.
If individuals are assigned outside of their endorsement area, the following needs to happen:
- The out-of-endorsement assignment needs to be approved by the local school board.
- The district and the teacher “mutually develop a written plan” for assistance to the teacher. The plan needs to provide “a reasonable amount of planning and study time associated specifically with the out-of-endorsement assignment.” Plans might include mentoring, PLC time with teachers in the content area, taking a course, independent study, and so on. The plan does not have to include acquiring the endorsement, although it may.
- Teachers cannot be subject to nonrenewal or probation based on evaluations of their teaching effectiveness in the out-of-endorsement assignments.
- There are other specific provisions in WAC related to teaching special education out-of-endorsement.
There are no out-of-endorsement provisions for CTE teachers.
The endorsement(s) that a teacher has earned appear on his or her certificate. All certificates must have at least one endorsement (also called subject area or content area), and some endorsement areas cannot stand alone on a certificate. For detailed information on the competencies covered by each endorsement area, please see PESB’s endorsement competencies page.
Chapter 181-82 WAC: Certificate endorsements and assignment of certificated personnel
How can I earn an endorsement?
Endorsements may be added through completing an approved preparation program plus a test, or for certain endorsements, through a test-only process. Endorsements may be also be added through NBPTS National Board certification. For details on adding an endorsement, please see the OSPI add an endorsement page. If you have questions about adding an endorsement to your existing Washington certificate, or about adding endorsements when coming in from out of state, please contact the certification office (email@example.com or 360-725-6400).
- The educator retooling conditional loan scholarship program provides financial support to Washington State certified teachers who seek to expand their knowledge and skills by adding endorsements in subject or geographic shortage areas.
- Find an alternative route program – This link shows which colleges and universities in Washington offer alternative route education preparation programs.
- Approved endorsements of each preparation program provider. Please call providers directly to verify which endorsements they currently offer.
- Chapter 181-82 WAC: Certificate endorsements and assignment of certificated personnel