The Paraeducator Board is seeking proposals from Washington State school districts and Educational Service Districts (ESD) to pilot the paraeducator state standards of practice and the professional development certificates. This is a one year grant with funding. Districts interested in applying for this pilot must demonstrate commitment to implementing strategies to achieve the training priorities listed below. Districts’ work will inform broader knowledge and skills that lead to effective programming and program-wide changes to advance paraeducator professional and career development.
During the course of the year, applicants chosen to pilot the programs are required to provide professional development opportunities to paraeducators in their district(s) who are participating in the pilot. Training opportunities must be actively promoted to these paraeducators. At the end of the pilot program, grantees will also be required to submit a final report analyzing outcomes and any recommendations for implementing the Fundamental Course of Study and the chosen paraeducator certificate.
Additionally, awardees are required to participate in the Paraeducator Pilot Work Group as part of accepting the grant. This work group will meet virtually and in person to share their progress with the PESB and to discuss implementation approaches of the Fundamental Course of Study and certificate programs.
For more information see the Paraeducator Pilot Grant Application Packet (Document), additionally please review the resources at the bottom of this page.
Who May Apply
A Washington public school district, a district led district consortium, and ESDs in partnership with Washington public school districts. District consortiums may only submit one application.
PESB requires potential applicants to carefully review this list prior to submitting a proposal. District consortiums between districts or organized by an ESD must make sure all districts meet these requirements. Successful proposals will reflect these activities in their project narrative, addressing the following:
- Paraeducators participating in the pilot must complete the Fundamental Course of Study;
- Once a paraeducator has completed the Fundamental Course of Study, paraeducators must be trained in the application’s chosen certificate;
- District/district consortiums must create facilitator guides to train paraeducators. Awarded districts are expected to submit supplemental curricular materials developed for the pilot to PESB;
- Provide extensive support to paraeducators during the pilot study to complete training in the Fundamental Course of Study and certificate;
- Paraeducators who participate in the pilot are to create an account with e-certification, and districts will provide assistance to paraeducators to complete this process, if necessary; and
- Attendance and full participation in work group meetings by district or district consortium lead contact.
Pilot Key Dates
The dates that follow after the proposal submission deadline are tentative and subject to change. If a change is necessary, awardees will be notified well in advance.
Mar 26, 2018 Grant begins accepting applications
April 11, 2018 Informational webinar (A recording is available on request)
Apr 30, 2018 Proposals due by 8:00am on this day, no extensions
May 25, 2018 Awardees announced
Jun 01, 2018 Paraeducator Pilot Work Group meets virtually
Sep 01, 2018 Grant funds distributed by this date
Oct 5, 2018 Paraeducator Pilot Work Group meets in-person
Dec 12 2018 Paraeducator Pilot Work Group meets virtually
Jan 15, 2019 Midway pilot grant report due
Jan 24, 2019 Paraeducator Pilot Work Group meets in-person
Aug 31, 2019 Final analysis reports due
Sep 06, 2019 Paraeducator Pilot Work Group meets in-person
- Paraeducator Pilot Grant Application Packet (Document)
- Paraeducator Pilot Application Form
- RCW 28A.413 – Paraeducators
- Paraeducator Pilot Grant Resource Folder
- Template Memorandum of Agreement
- Standards of Practice for a Paraeducator
- Course outlines for the Fundamental Course of Study
- Standards of Practice for the ELL and Special Education Subject Matter Certificates
- Course outlines for the Subject Matter Certificates
- Pilot Grant Evaluation Rubric