Suicide Prevention Requirement
Applies to school nurses, school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers earning or renewing their second tier certification beginning July 1, 2015.
Requirement: 3 hours (minimum) of training in suicide prevention from an approved curriculum.
The professional certificate allows working ESAs to demonstrate competency of career level standards in their current position. The candidate must have a dated residency certificate and be in their 3rd contracted year in their certificated role with a public or private school or ESD. Part-time practitioners and ESAs assigned to more than one role are encouraged to discuss with a ProCert program director (listed below) whether their assignment/s provide sufficient opportunity to accomplish the ProCert standards.
The ProCert process involves:
1. an entry seminar that provides an orientation to the process and to the benchmarks, a self-evaluation "audit," and development of a Professional Growth Plan;
2. Professional Growth Plan (PGP) implementation, wherein the candidate gathers evidence on the benchmarks and develops capacity in the major areas of focus; and
3. an Action Research Project created in conjunction with the completion of a ProCert program.
School psychologists with an expiration date of June 2013, 2014, or 2015 on their Residency Certificate have been granted a one time 2-year extension.
School psychologists may use the Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) Certificate for the Professional Certificate.
- School psychologists holding a dated Residency Certificate can earn a continuing certificate by working in the role of school psychologist for 180 days and completing 150 clock hours (WAC 181-79A-221). Contact the OSPI Certification Office with School Psychology in the subject line with specific questions.
- For additional information on the NCSP process, contact NASP.
- Those in the process of obtaining their NCSP may apply for a one time 2-year extension on their Residency Certificate. Contact the OSPI Certification Office for information on the verification process.
Please read our advisory regarding the new National Board process and candidates with expiring 5 year residency credentials.
School Counselors interested in ProCert should contact programs for details on the ProCert process:
Basic information on the ProCert process can be found here:
ARSL Summative Rubric(link coming soon)
School Counselors and Psychologists Certified Prior to September 2005:
An ESA receiving their first Washington certificate in School Psychology, School Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, School Nursing, or Speech-Language Pathology should follow the Initial/Continuing track. All ESA roles with a valid Initial Certificate should apply to the Certification Office for the Continuing Certificate
School Social Workers
School social workers are now on the Initial/Continuing track for certification. Those with Residency Certificates will apply to the local Education Service District (ESD) for certification.