The professional certificate allows working ESA's to demonstrate competency of career level standards in their current position. The candidate must have a dated residency certificate and be in their 3rd contracted year in their certificated role with a public or private school or ESD. Part-time practitioners and ESA's assigned to more than one role are encouraged to discuss with a ProCert program director (listed below) whether their assignment/s provide sufficient opportunity to accomplish the ProCert standards.
Provides an orientation to the process and to the benchmarks; self-evaluation "audit;" and development of a Professional Growth Plan.
Professional Growth Plan Implementation:
Candidate gathers evidence on the benchmarks and develops capacity in the major areas of focus; may implement new strategies and participate in a variety of professional development activities.
The Candidate presents evidence to a panel of experts.
School PsychologistsThere is not a currently approved program for Professional Certification for school psychologists. School psychologists with an expiration date of June 2013, 2014, or 2015 on their Residency Certificate have been granted a one time 2-year extension.
School psychologists may use the Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) Certificate for the Professional Certificate: Click here.
- School psychologists holding a dated Residency Certificate should return here for updates on availability of a ProCert program. Contact Corll Morrissey or the OSPI Certification Office with School Psychology in the subject line with specific questions.
- Information on the NCSP process contact: NASP.
- Those in the process of obtaining their NCSP may apply for a one time 2-year extension on their Residency Certificate. Contact the OSPI Certification Office for the verification process.
School Counseling Professional Certificate
ProCert Candidates register to present:
- Click here after being cleared by the university supervisor.
ProCert Panel Dates:
- June 26, 2013 Gonzaga University
- September 28, 2013, Renton Technical College
Handbook and Documents:
Counselor ProCert Begin the Process
- Read thoroughly before contacting the ProCert program
Currently Approved School Counselor ProCert Programs
Prior to contacting a program read Begin the Process
*School counselors may use the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Certification for the Professional Certificate: Click here.
- Gonzaga University Cari Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org (509) 313-3501
- Western Washington University Dr. Diana Gruman email@example.com
- 1-2 additional programs are anticipated to be approved for summer and fall 2013
School Counselors and Psychologists Certified Prior to September 2005:Continuing Certification:
An ESA receiving their first Washington certificate in School Psychology,School Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, School Nursing, or Speech-Language Pathology follow the Initial/Continuing track. All ESA roles with a valid Initial Certificate apply to the Certification Office for the Continuing Certificate
. Peer Review
for school psychology and school counselor programs. See the current list of programs offering peer review.
School Social Workers
School social workers are now on the Initial/Continuing track for certification. Those with Residency Certificates will apply to the local Education Service District
School social worker certification Frequently Asked Questions.